Friday, December 30, 2011

Au Revoir 2011 (Part 1)

30 December 2011.

Status: Sitting in front of computer, munching chocolate.
Time: 4.14AM

Oh 2011, you have been kind. Not just to me, but to the Fashion World as well. I must say, as the year comes to a close, I can't help but feel largely impressed with the trends that dominated the year.

So, in honor of the 2011 fashion trends, let's have a quick look, shall we?


1. The return of 70's Sophistication

Vintage. It's like fine wine. It gets better with age. I personally never understood why the 70's went out of style anyways.

There's just something about it that gives an extra lift to any woman. An extra sophisticated lift, that is. It's hard to find anything 70's trashy. IF you wear the look right, that is.

Take the high waisted skirts AND pants, for example. Versatile and chic. I do believe it's also a staple in EVERY girl's closet now.



Twisted Classic – High Waisted Shorts





High waisted skirts and pants have a certain charm about them. And they do wonders for a girl's figure. Skinny or curvy, any girl can pull off this look. If you wear it right. If you're slightly curvy, I would recommend that you wear those high waisted bottoms that have a bit more flair.

Images courtesy of: widbox.com, ssasychic.com, fashionindie.com, jessehanus.com

Then there's the pussy-bow top.



Quite personally, I didn't fancy the trend. I have this weird conviction about bows at the neck. Too... Stuffy. But, I will say that pussy bow tops are in fact, cute. I adore the ones with soft, loose material. Very sophisticated, in a not-so stuffy manner. Though I still wouldn't wear them.

Images courtesy of: allaboutyou.com, fashionboutiques.org.uk

And who could forget the jumpsuits?

Jamie-Lynn Spears, Gisele Bundchen and Sarah Michelle Gellar sporting jumpsuits

trend_jumpsuits

While not exactly versatile, jumpsuits are absolutely adorable. They're perfect for those occasions when you just don't know what to wear, and you really don't feel like wearing a dress. I know I have those moments.

Image courtesy of: trendmill.com, cents-of-style.com

2. The punk vengeance

As most of us know, the punk look has been in and out of fashion trends since... Well, since it appeared. This unconventional style has influenced the world of fashion in many, many ways. Especially the motorcycle chic that we've seen a lot of in 2011.

Here are a few examples.

Studs and spikes

Studs

32e1f765



I've never hated studs, neither did I have a strong liking for them. However, I do agree that they add a delicious edge to any ensemble. And I believe that they do give a sense of controversy. When paired with the right clothes, these babies give any fashionista an ultra-cool bad girl look.
But of course, there's always too much of a good thing. You wouldn't want to look like a porcupine, would you?


Never wear this on a date.
Highly hazardous to your potential boyfriend.
You might actually be charged for murder.

Or, well. Something from Mars.

Mary-Kate's Studded Sleeves

What was she thinking?

Other forms of punk elements spotted this year are safety pins and heavy boots.



Images courtesy of: helloknewworld.com, joonbug.com, girldir.com, justjared.buzznet.com, refinery29.com, styleluminisingme.com

3. The crop top
I never understood why this trend went out of fashion either.

Although, I strongly suspect it's because of the minimal number of people daring enough to wear it. This time round, however, crop tops aren't JUST for showing off those gorgeous abs. It's also about finding new ways to show a small peep of your midriff, in an elegant manner. Or, to just add a more chic layer to your outfit.

Here's a brief break down on the many ways the crop top has been re-invented this year.


Layering.
Great for some of us (myself included) who have yet to work off that extra tummy bulge, but still yearning to wear a crop top.

Motel Tammy Crop Black Top

Loose Cropped Top


Bustier Cropped Top


Cropped tops, worn with high-waisted bottoms.

Not for the faint-hearted.
I strongly recommend these for the more daring girls.

I said it many times, and I'll say it again. I love cropped tops. Sexy, daring and just plain adorable, it's the perfect piece to liven up your everyday look. The trick, however, is to not look trashy. If worn carelessly, one might end up looking like a prostitute.


'nuff said.

Images courtesy of: 2threads.com, collegecandy.files.wordpress.com, motelclothes.com, foreverstylestruck.blogspot.com, readthesmiths.com


So ends part 1. Keep an eye out, part 2 will be out really soon.

Till then. Au revoir mes amis. xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eileen, Great first post! And I totally agree- high waist anything is here to stay for a while longer, as well as pussybow tops in any print haha.

    And speaking of jumpsuits/playsuits I just got myself 2 sets yesterday :D they are so easy to wear + super comfortable!

    Looking forward to more posts (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Xen! :D

    Thank you! I'm glad you agree. They're such useful things. :D

    That's exactly why I love jumpsuits! Congrats on getting new ones! I doubt anyone can be satisfied with just one. :p

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete