Thursday, June 28, 2012

Wall of Fashion: Audrey Hepburn

28 June 2012

Status: Admiring Dior
Time: 1PM

Let me be really frank here. If you don't know the name of Audrey Hepburn, you must have led a very sad life. Who wouldn't know the elegant lady who paraded and popularised the little black dress (which, may I add, is still very much copied to this day)? You have to know this. I'll give you a hint.

shop.tcm.com

You cannot not know this. 

In fact, this particular pose is so iconic, it's been imitated by countless of people. Celebs, models, ordinary Janes (and Joes, if you swing that way)... But it's not just the pose itself that made it all so iconic. It's the dress too. You know, the little black dress?

gracieopulanza.com
But then again, I'm not here to talk solely about the little black dress. 

Born Audrey Kathleen Ruston, she has been a highly influential style icon, even to this day. Interestingly, she's been descended from a long line of aristocrats. That could be one of the reasons of how she got her amazing style. Hepburn was an imaginative and playful child. She also had a huge love for ballet. Among her greatest works are Roman Holiday, Breakfast at Tiffany's and My Fair Lady. Despite being highly praised for her acting prowess, Audrey remained humble, and a humanitarian. She died in 1993 of appendiceal cancer at age 63.

thegalbehindthechair.com

Very much different from the curvy sex sirens like Marilyn Monroe who came before her, Audrey was tall, had a gamine waif-like figure with "elfin" features. She was extremely beautiful. She favoured clothes with simple and clean cut lines, which showed off her tall, slim figure beautifully (Tip for girls who have a similar frame of figure). Audrey was a designer's delight. All of them loved dressing her doll-like body with gorgeous creations. The most prominent, I believe, is Givenchy. Which she established a long-term partnership with.


But of course, none surpassed the little black dress from Breakfast at Tiffany's. Something that she became widely synonymous with - her signature piece.

Unless I'm mistaken, it was that very black dress that made the little black dress a wardrobe essential.

trouvais.com
ichbinsinnen.blogspot.com
posters.ws
aneyeforvintage.blogspot.com
 
While her style isn't... For lack of a better description, something I wear very often, neither am I a fan, but I admire her. I love everything she throws on, literally. It's not sexy per se (or rather, not your conventional sexy) nothing over the top. And I wouldn't call it something you'd spot on the streets right away... Scratch that. It's Audrey Hepburn. You totally would. She's pure sophistication, elegance, and glamour, all rolled into one. 

Sometimes, when I run out of ideas on what to wear, I look to her, and all is solved. 

Audrey Hepburn   Actress, Philanthropist and Style Icon Image
celebritysentry.com
Regarded as one of the most beautiful women in the twentieth century,  she is remembered as one of the greatest film and fashion icons, ever. You can't know fashion or film if you haven't known Audrey Hepburn. Oh, and if you're one of those girls who love the prim, proper, sophisticated and elegant thing, look to Audrey. 

You know they say true style never goes out of fashion, and it's true. Has Audrey's style ever gone out of fashion? I dare you to prove me wrong. 

However, what I find most attractive about her, isn't  her beauty, her talent, or even her style. It's her active humanitarian work that inspires me. Someone this beautiful and talented to have such a heart of gold, that's amazing. Her works with UNICEF is certainly nothing to be sneezed at. 

I'd like to end this entry with Audrey Hepburn's favourite poem, also a personal favourite of mine.

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. 

For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.

For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.

For beautiful hair, let a child run his/her fingers through it once a day.

For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.

People, even more than things, have to be restored, 
renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.

Remember, if you ever need a helping hand,

you will find one at the end of each of your arms.

As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands;
one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others.

The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, 

the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. 

The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes,
because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.

The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, 

but true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. 

It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows,
and the beauty of a woman with passing years only grows!

-Sam Levenson


Till next time. Au revoir, beautiful ones. I truly believe that you are all beautiful. xoxo

6 comments:

  1. I adore Audrey Hepburn. She was sheer elegance and style. Thanks to her, people started considering slim women beautiful and elegant in a time where curvy girls were the standard of sexyness and beauty. And gosh, I want to have her neck! That is sexy and not big boobs!

    Sara from A Modern-Day Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. :) I think she brought sexy to a whole new level for all women.

      Delete
  2. Love your blog and I am following you now!
    Check my blog and let me know if you would like to follow me back!
    Love,
    http://inass-myfashion.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Love yours too. Followed you back :)

      Delete
  3. lovely post!

    maybe we can follow eachother?
    Let me know if you follow me
    and I follow back!

    www.linlicious-style.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! Love your blog. I've followed you :)

      Delete