Friday, February 1, 2013

Outfit of the Day: My Uncle's Tea Ceremony

On January 19, 2013, my Uncle Alex finally tied the knot with his high school sweetheart. I've grown very much accustomed to seeing this pair of lovers at every family gathering. I initially thought that they were married quite a while back (I've seen them since I was 11). In my innocence, I was wrong.

So on the day of the wedding, my family drove up to Rawang for the Chinese tea ceremony.




For the tea ceremony, I wore a light beige chiffon semi-transparent top and my pastel orange asymmetrical skirt. I'm a person who really loves chiffon, or clothes made out of soft, flowy material. It's so fun to watch the fabric flow and swish along with your body. Makes me feel so graceful, despite how clumsy I can be.

Seeing as this was a family event, I thought I'd try to look as much of a good girl as I could. So I pulled on a pair of light yellow socks and my Mary Janes.

The bridal car
This is probably the cutest bridal car, like, ever. Stitch and Experiment 624 a.k.a. "Angel". Who'd have thought? The car's pretty sexy too, innit?


Now, for those of you who aren't clear, the Chinese Tea Ceremony held for weddings is the ceremony that seals the marriage. During the ceremony, the couple will first bow to the heavens for blessing. They will then serve tea for the groom's family. 

According to custom, the tea is served from the eldest to the youngest in the family. The bride and groom will first serve tea to the elder relatives, in return, the elders will give them a red packet of money each.

Those of us who are much younger and unmarried, will then serve tea to the bride and groom, who will hand out red packets to us, in return.

This ceremony is seen as a sign of respect in Chinese culture, a custom that that is integral in every Chinese marriage, as it symbolises sweet family relations, prosperity and fertility. It's a way for the elders to give their blessing to the newly weds while welcoming them to the family.

For more details, check this out.


I honestly wish I could have taken more pictures, but something went very wrong with my camera that day, so this is pretty much all I can give. 

After the tea ceremony, we were given a sumptuous buffet, where we ate until our stomachs burst. 

Love, love, LOVE the soft bow at the back of my top.

All in all, it was a great wedding. Congratulations, Uncle Alex and Aunt Kiki! May your days be blessed and  your lives filled with love. I really must apologise for the lack of pictures. I'm no photography whiz. But, there will be more, next round, I promise!

What I wore:
Top - Kenanga Wholesale City (similar here)
Asymmetrical skirt - Iwearsin.com (similar here)
Shoes - Ampang Park (similar here)
Bag - Tropicana City Mall (similar here




No comments:

Post a Comment